Call us for a personal professional opinion before you sell.
When is the best time to sell?
Generally most times of the year will be fine. There are the seasonal high spots like Spring, January and June, but give our professional staff a call with the latest news and market conditions. There are plenty of variables. Just considering interest rates is not always a factor.
PREPARING YOUR HOME FOR SALE
Exterior and Curb Appeal-
Experts say that buyers can make a decision based on first impressions.
General Exterior -
- Prospective buyers will react well to signs your home has been meticulously maintained.
- Landscaping - mow, edge and water lawn, trim hedges, weed and fertilise flowerbeds, and prune trees.
- Keep the driveway clean and free of parked cars, and keep the garage door closed.
- Repair or replace loose or damaged roof tiles if applicable.
- Minimise cracks or crumbling on walkways, walls, or steps, and keep them clean and free of obstruction like toys.
- Make sure that from the street, your property appears clean and clear.
- Inspect appearance of interior window covering from the outside.
- Repair any peeling paint on windows or other areas.
- Take steps to eliminate insect or rodent pest.
- Pick up after your pets and neighbours animals.
- While we are unlocking the property and turning off alarms, buyers have idle time to notice details.
- Apply a fresh coat of paint to the front door.
- Consider adding pots of flowering plants in the entryway if weather permits.
- Remove cobwebs and clean the doorway area windows, porch lights, or decorative glass.
Interior Appeal -
- Once inside, Experts say most buyers are reaffirming their first impressions from the outside.
- Clean, Clear, Light and Bright
- Give every room in the house a thorough cleaning and remove all clutter. Hiring a cleaning service may pay for itself by adding to a buyer's perceived value of your home.
- For a sleeker, more spacious look, consider placing furniture from crowded rooms in storage.
- Clear kitchen counters or benches of everything other than perhaps a few pretty items. Ask yourself; In a model home, would a professional decorator put your choice of items out on the counter?
- Remember, wardrobes and hall cupboards will be opened! Keep wardrobes, cupboards, and storage areas neat and tidy. Since you're anticipating a move anyway, consider holding a garage sale or boxing and storing unused belongings.
- If necessary, repaint or clean or replace dingy, soiled or strongly coloured walls, and window and floor coverings with a light, neutral shade. Bright rooms look bigger, and neutral colours help buyers envision their own furnishing and da'cor.
- Repair dripping taps, burned out light globes, or cracked windowpanes.
- Repair cracks, holes or damage to plaster, wallpaper, and tiles
Warm and Homely
- Subtle Scents of potpourri in bedrooms or baths and fresh baked cookies or coffee in the kitchen can make your home more inviting.
- Keep an attractive set of towels in each bathroom to be brought out only for showings.
Methods of Sale
There are a number of different methods of sale and each has their place depending on the type of property and the current market conditions. Our professional team will be able to advise you on an individual basis with the best method to produce the best results. Call today for a free market appraisal and a report on the current market conditions.
1. PRIVATE TREATY/FOR SALE:
You benefit as the seller because a Private Sale offers:
- The seller can control the amount and type of marketing used for their property.
- Can have less marketing costs associated with it - this of course depends on how long it takes to achieve a satisfactory sale.
- Removes the open competition that comes with bidding - which may suit you if you find auctions daunting
- Can be slightly less stressful because it does not build up to a deadline like auction day.
- Enables you to negotiate on terms and conditions (such as long settlement), as well as the price
- May have a lower profile campaign if so desired
- The seller can chose the type and length of agency agreement
- There is no cut off for when the property must be sold
- Fixed price not a range advertised
- As there is no cutoff date it is difficult to make plans
- The buyers have more time and power to negotiate the terms of the sale contract
2. EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST:
You can benefit by using the 'For Sale by Private Bid' method because it:
- Places a time limit on buyers, encouraging them to make their highest offer.
- Creates a similar amount of competition for the property, yet removes the perceived stress that is often associated with auctions.
- All interest in your property is there for you to see - in writing!
- Ensures that each interested party is given the same opportunity to register their interest.
- There is no set price, the market has the opportunity to set the price
- It offers privacy for the seller and interested buyers as they have a period of time to consider what the offer might be
- You have the ability to Sell prior to the tender date
- There is not the same feeling of competition as buyers submit their Expressions of Interest individually
- Buyers may feel uncomfortable or not knowledgeable enough to submit an Expressions of Interest
You benefit as the seller because a Public Auction:
- Places a time limit on buyers, encouraging them to make a high offer before the auction rather than wait to see what auction day may bring, allowing you the option of selling before auction if you choose.
- Allows you - the seller - to set the terms of the sale.
- Has no "cooling-off" period (when buyers change their mind).
- Is not conditional on buyers' finance approvals.
- The number of days the property is on the market is generally shorter
- Buyers are forced to compete for the property, which can force the sale price higher than expected
- The property is considered Sold at the fall of the hammer
- Could Fail. "No Sale"
- Some people are afraid of the auction process because they don't understand it
- Some buyers may be wary and not comfortable with buying under auction conditions because they don't like the feeling of pressure
- Not recommended in a quiet market